Creamy Sausage and Potato Soup
This easy sausage and potato soup is hearty, healthy and dairy-free, made creamy by pureeing cannellini beans.
Sausage and Potato Soup
Potato soups are so comforting in the colder months and this sausage and potato soup is sure to be a family dinner pleasure! Made with sweet Italian chicken, turkey or pork sausage, potatoes, spinach and white beans. Some of my other favorite potato soups you may like are Loaded Baked Potato Soup, Potato Leek Soup and Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup.
This recipe is from the Feeding Littles and Beyond Cookbook; 100 Baby-Led-Weaning-Friendly Recipes the Whole Family Will Love. My friend Ali Maffucci, of Inspiralized and one of the author’s of this cookbook writes “You may be surprised that this Creamy Sausage Potato Soup has no cream! I know many families avoid dairy because of allergies or intolerances but miss the flavor and texture of dairy foods. That’s why I have lots of dairy-free-but-still- creamy recipes.”
The key to making this soup creamy without cream is the cannellini beans. I do this a lot with many of my soup recipes. Plus beans are packed with protein and fiber, adding a richness to this soup that complements the hearty flavors of the Italian sausage. If you have young ones, the potatoes are softened making them great for beginner eaters, passing the “squish test.” You may ask yourself why you would ever need dairy to thicken a soup again once you try this trick.
More recipes in the cookbook that I can’t wait to make; zucchini and quinoa lasagna, cauliflower parmesan bake and english muffin pizzas, just to name a few!
Potato Soup Ingredients
- Sausage: Use your favorite mild Italian sausage. I like chicken or turkey, but you can use pork or even vegan sausage can be used here. If you like it hot, try using spicy sausage instead.
- Beans: Rinse and drain one can of cannellini beans. I usually use any canned white beans I have in my pantry, try Northern or Navy beans.
- Broth: Low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth will work.
- Potatoes: Yellow potatoes are used for this soup recipe. You can also try red or any waxy potato.
- Spinach: Add chopped spinach to the pot after the potatoes are tender and simmer for a minute.
- Extra flavor: Onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper make this healthy soup so delicious.
How long is sausage and potato good for in the fridge?
Stock your freezer with soup so you have quick meals on hand when you’re too busy to cook. This creamy potato and sausage soup will hold in the refrigerator for 4 days and in the freezer for 3 months. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stove.
What to Serve with Sausage and Potato Soup
This creamy potato soup is very filling since it has 25 grams of protein from the sausage and beans. Serve it with a slice of crusty bread, and/or a salad and call it a meal!
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
Sausage and Potato Soup
This easy, comforting sausage and potato soup is hearty and dairy-free, made creamy by pureeing cannellini beans.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 mild Italian turkey or chicken sausage links, pork or vegan sausage can also work
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 can, 15 ounces cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 container, 32 ounces low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups cubed yellow potatoes, peeling optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and spray with oil.
Add the sausage links, crumble, and cook until browned, about 7 minutes, stirring often. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage and set aside in a bowl.
Immediately add 1 teaspoon oil, and then the onion and garlic. Cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the Italian seasoning and stir well to coat the vegetables. Add the beans and broth to the pot and stir.
Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until creamy. If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer the soup mixture to a high-speed blender and blend until creamy. Return to the pot.
Add the cooked sausage, potatoes, and salt and pepper, and bring the soup to a boil.
Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and let the soup simmer for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Once the potatoes are tender, add the spinach to the pot. Simmer for 1 minute and then serve.
Serving: 11/2 cups, Calories: 402kcal, Carbohydrates: 60g, Protein: 25g, Fat: 7.5g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 55mg, Sodium: 1164mg, Fiber: 9.5g, Sugar: 8g
Keywords: hearty soup recipes, Potato soup, sausage and potato soup