Michigan’s COVID-19 scenario quantities and hospitalizations have improved considering that early July with the onset of omicron variant BA.5. Listed here are the most up-to-date crucial statistics:
- 875 hospitalizations with verified or suspected COVID-19, a 20% maximize since July 1.
- 23 pediatric hospitalizations with confirmed or suspected COVID-19.
- 67.6% of all people have at least 1 dose of vaccine.
- 29.2% of youngsters aged 5-11 have now initiated vaccination.
- Roughly 2% of young children aged 6 months-5 a long time have initiated vaccination due to the fact approval was granted in mid-June.
The MHA continues to preserve associates apprised of pandemic-associated developments impacting hospitals via e-mail updates and the MHA Coronavirus webpage. Critical updates are outlined below.
Governor Symptoms COVID-19 Legal responsibility Laws
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer not too long ago signed quite a few COVID-19 legal responsibility-related charges:
- Home Monthly bill 5244 (Community Act 138 of 2022) amends General public Act 238 of 2020, which prohibits an employer from getting certain steps against an personnel who does not report to do the job under circumstances relevant to COVID-19, to specify that the Act would not apply to a claim or lead to of motion that accrued just after July 1, 2022. In addition, the invoice will repeal PA 238 of 2020 productive July 1, 2023. HB 5244 was sponsored by Rep. Andrew Fink (R-Hillsdale).
- Property Bill 6128 (General public Act 140 of 2022) amends Segment 85 of the Michigan Occupational Safety and Wellbeing Act to specify that specific situations establishing immunity for companies whose workforce have been exposed to COVID-19 would not apply to an exposure that occurred just after July 1, 2022. In addition, the monthly bill would repeal Part 85 and Portion 85a, which defines COVID-19 beneath the Act, powerful July 1, 2023. HB 6128 was sponsored by Rep. Yousef Rabhi (D-Ann Arbor).
- Property Monthly bill 6215 (General public Act 139 of 2022) amends the COVID-19 Reaction and Reopening Liability Assurance Act to specify that the Act, which supplies immunity to a person that functions in compliance with specified federal, point out and neighborhood orders associated to COVID-19, would not use to a assert or cause of motion that accrued following July 1, 2022. In addition, the monthly bill would repeal the Act powerful July 1, 2023. Home Monthly bill 6215 was sponsored by Rep. Graham Filler (R-DeWitt).
Novavax Vaccine Receives Food and drug administration Authorization
The Foods and Drug Administration (Fda) granted crisis use authorization to Novavax’s COVID-19 vaccine July 13. The vaccine is a two-dose sequence administered three months aside and makes use of a different, older vaccine technological know-how than is applied in the messenger RNA vaccines and Johnson & Johnson shot.
Novavax’s vaccine is approved for persons ages 18 and more mature as a primary collection. It may be captivating to these grownups who ended up hesitant to acquire one more manufacturer of vaccine due to the factors or growth procedure.
In a demo of extra than 26,000 adults, two doses of the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine ended up far more than 90 percent powerful at stopping symptomatic illness. For grown ups 65 and older, effectiveness was more than 78 %. There were being no serious side effects or security concerns.
The Centers for Ailment Regulate and Prevention (CDC) will next come to a decision whether or not it will endorse the vaccine. The CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Procedures will meet up with July 19, while an agenda is not yet obtainable.
The Biden administration recently announced that it experienced procured 3.2 million doses of the Novavax vaccine. If the vaccine is recommended by the CDC, it will be produced obtainable at no price to states, jurisdictions, federal pharmacy associates and federally competent wellbeing centers. The MHA will hold members apprised of vaccine availability and ordering processes at the suitable time. Members with concerns may get in touch with Ruthanne Sudderth at the MHA.
Supplemental info on the COVID-19 pandemic is available to customers on the MHA Group Web site and the MHA COVID-19 webpage. Queries on COVID-19 and infectious disorder reaction methods may perhaps be directed to the MDHHS Group Health Emergency Coordination Center (CHECC).